Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The perfect session

I spent the day at sluice last Sunday and had one of the best sessions ever. Good weather (for February), good people, and lots of good paddling with some big moves. It was one of those days were everyone in the eddy is pumped and just enjoying every minute of it, the buzz was indescribable. Having spent most of the last six months river running this was such a breath of fresh air. It reminded me that there are many aspects of paddling that I enjoy and I should make more of an effort to make time for all of them.
Since losing one of my best friends, Dee, to a paddling accident, I spent a lot of time wondering why I bother paddling at all. Sunday reminded me of all the good aspects to paddling, the things that make us get up and go out paddling in the freezing cold, wind and rain. It’s the buzz you get from the feel of the water, the sense of excitement, pushing yourself to your limits, learning and improving, the fun you have and the smile it puts on your face, the feeling of satisfaction at the end of it all, and most importantly it’s the craic you have on the river with your mates, and the new friends you make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home